Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh, Left Footers of the World: Unite and Take Over


Fabulous lorenzo23 with his fabulous first eleven of fine blogs visited yesterday and said...
a) Walk the Plank are great.
b) Fireworks and ciabatta are the bread and circus of today.
c) If you go on about Guy Fawkes again I'm getting you a ticket to Lewes, Sussexshire for Nov 5th. Great fireworks but a bit dodgy for us left foot boys.
d) Is that cryptic enough?

Answers: Thanks, Perhaps, Thanks again (thought they now burn on a multi-faith ecumenical basis?), and Yes.

Lorenzo23 and other Manchester left footers will be heartened to hear that at last night's Manchester Local Government Committee GC (aka City Party, sorry Loz and other Reds) the subjects of left footery, popery and papist plots were raised as the Party voted by a landslide to build on the Green Flag reputation and spectacular scenic husbandry at Wythenshawe Park and further improve the facilities.

Up went the hand of the Hon Left Footer for Newton Heath who quoth:
"Yes, but only if the statue of Oliver Cromwell is immediately removed."
"Ya boo, jiggery popery"
quoth one of the Hon Right Footers for Wythenshawe.
"Replace Guido on the Bonnie with Oli for the Next Ten Years" quoth some blogger bloke.
"Ya boo, jiggery popery" quoth that same 'No Surrender' Hon Right Footer of M22.

Oliver has already been whisked away from environs of the Proddie Cathedral to save unpleasantness.

City Party also debated the new Manchester Labour manifesto.

The correct terminology to use for Greater Manchester Police Officers of all stripes was of particular interest.

More on which anon.

The meeting also proved the old adage that getting on the ballot paper is an important nay crucial step towards selection or election.

Who says local political business meetings have to be boring?

10 comments:

lorenzo23 said...

I'm over exposed now and you missed my photo food blog. See what left foot, left handed vegetarians have for tea. I think that qualifies me for any Minority Shortlist.

http://moblog.co.uk/blog/biffadigital

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned the manifesto.
It gives me a chance to tell the regional party heavies who are harrassing you that the Manchester Labour website is still refering to the 2006 elections when it should be 2007.
It makes us look daft.
While I'm on internal party matters lets get involved in this year's Manchester May Day

Anonymous said...

which Labour Party branch are you in Miles?

Anonymous said...

Cheetham Hill.
If anyone knows when the next meeting is please tell me as I have lost all details.

Chris Paul said...

Thanks Miles: yes the Manchester Labour website is not as up to date as it might be. Obviously I am some bloke with a blog and have very little to do with that. I was in a couple of the stories last time I looked. But we'll see.

It is also true that the Lib Dem sites had a hiatus from July to January where apparently the MP and various Cllrs concerned did nothing at all. Particularly poor show from the MP!

Obviously our manifesto there would be the last one as it was last night's meeting that approved the new one which I guess will be launched and publicized in a week or two.

"Regional Party Heavies" are not harrassing me in the slightest. The briefing to the SMR you are relying on for that was absolutely and very marvellously ridiculous.

And for both Mr Towle and the Labour spokesperson there is clearly a gulf between new media and old media which I'm guessing will not ever be bridged.

Chris Paul said...

Lorenzo23: why don't you alias or syndicate you extra blog to your old photo food blog. As a proper digerato I reckon you can handle that ...

Anonymous said...

I thought regional party heavies were harrassing you over the selection stuff.
Bloggers of the world unite you have nothing to lose but your url shortcuts.

Chris Paul said...

Hi Miles

Are you trying to make sure that Val's very silly news management story is not blown? Or did you really think that Regional Office Heavies are harassing me?

I had one phone call from a very helpful gentleman from the RO about 6 or 7 weeks ago and we agreed on a blog strategy which I have kept with as closely as I possibly can.

This was mostly concerned with keeping the random and irresponsible commentators who had been throwing about nonsense were curbed and that was successfully managed until the affiliations thing (which I removed) which went a bit wobbly, including with the pompous establishment people (who don't get new media) saying this was a crappy blog etc.

Anyway, I'm keeping my part of the bargain in terms of trying to advise self control on the comments. But there have been some issues as you will have read with wilful disinformation to me from candidates' conspirators which leaves me once bitten twice shy.

Best w

Chris P

Anonymous said...

how did the smr get hold of labour party minutes?

Chris Paul said...

Good question, but I really don't think he's seen any minutes. Val wouldn't do that.

The email he sent me was throughly disingenuous and as it turned out ambiguous. The journalist made it appear that the LIB DEMS were about to pass something to Labour's Regional Office. Which did seem a bit odd. But then they are odd.

I'm not going to complain about the journalist though. In the end the piece could have been a lot worse and from what I hear he has a lot on his plate one way or another just now. Bits of it are garbled and misunderstood by him.

He's perhaps been assured that something is in the official minutes but he surely hasn't been shown them.

But I certainly don't think it was in the EC minutes approved at the last GC which I was at myself.

Revealling sensitive discourse from such a meeting even orally - particularly if some disciplinary action is really proposed - is pretty bad I do agree.

"I was there" told LoL that it was in the minutes over the CWU question. But LoL did not get access to those minutes. Looks like a similar approach.