Tuesday, April 03, 2007

EXCLUSIVE Guido Fawkes Provides David Rose "Retraction"


Guido Fawkes has sent me a load of stuff which has just arrived at LOL mansions, though apparently sent at various times over the last few days.

My email has been playing up a bit though I'll have a good look at the full headers to track their progress and true timings.

One of these things is a scan of a letter from Mr David Rose (right) to Mr Fawkes stating some pretty hardcore regret for not reporting Paul Staine's alternative explanation for his undisputed contact with the BNP's Organiser in East Yorkshire.

Mr Rose did not believe Guido's explanation at the time, in fact thinking it "absurd", but four years later - and having spent time (quaffing?) with Staines - Rose thought it seems he should have been more benificent.

REVISED: Guido has sent me the scan to be posted. I Could retype the text. Rose has given Staines permission to show it to people but I have written to him for his point of view anyway.

My reading of the thing is rather different from the one Guido thinks it should have and it does not deal with other aspects of the 1986 Guardian report. Addition: But it would have changed the original story substantially.

Guido has also sent me "A photo of my father - NOT FOR PUBLICATION" and also forwarded his "legal" letter to three other bloggers of February 2007. He told them that it was not for publication. But that doesn't apply to LOL does it?

UPDATE: There have been more emails ... but there is a promise of no more direction communication. Dum, dum, daaar.

UPDATE TWO: LOL have now published the letter from Rose to Staines HERE. Careful comments welcome.

4 comments:

jailhouselawyer said...

Curiouser and curiouser. It's not a retraction at all! It's a Guido whinge that a journalist has reported a story as he sees it. I didn't like the piece Andrew O' Hagan did on me. However, I do like other pieces by other journalists. You take your chance, just like Guido did on Newsnight, it didn't pay off. Tough shit.

Anonymous said...

why would you get Rose's permission to post the scan?

The copyright of the words in the letter is with Rose, but the scan is done by Staines. If you were going to get permission for anything, it would be for reporting the words.

Chris Paul said...

Thanks Anon

I will consider what you say. Mr Rose gives Mr Staines permission to show the letter to anyone and Staines wants it to be shown. So asking Mr Rose for permission (and indeed comment if he wishes) is more of a courtesy than a necessity.

Best w

Chris P

Anonymous said...

indeed, but it doesn't seem very courteous, in the event that permission is not forthcoming, to retype the words. I think you are somewhat confused on this matter.

I am not sure why Staines does not just put the scan up on the web and post a link to it in your comments.

It seems unnecessarily complicated to me.