Tuesday, July 22, 2008

MART Not Smart: Confess Their Goebbels Tendancy



Dave Ottewell continues to follow the campaign to secure almost £3 Billion of resources for Greater Manchester's passenger transport on his blog with the thoroughly predictable position of the government that they will not be funding campaigning on either side in referenda, should there be any.

The main apologist for the tactics of the antis - including a rather vindictive campaign to get rid of Cllr Roger Jones from his Salford council seat, and thence from his position as Chair of the GMPTA - Sean Corker responds with a confession. That thanks to the road lobbies deep pockets ...

I would think that Winterton's statement will backfire on the pro-tolls side. It's becoming obvious to most people that the chances of fairness or even a level playing field have gone out of the window.
Why are the GMPTE so scared of MART handing out a few leaflets inside their swanky exhibition caravans?

It'll probably be the MART fibs, their partial information, and their vile propaganda. Which brings Sean's number two Chris Rougheen to a moment of self-realisation and Godwin's law:

I think we need to look to Joseph Goebbels for the answer to that Sean:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” And,
“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over”

Yes, it's true enough. Keep telling people fibs about "tolls" and "charges" and "thousands per year" and they might believe it even though 80% of current drivers will pay nothing. And the other 20% can easily avoid any payment too. By switching from cars. Or by switching journey times slightly. But there's more:

Plus a final one from Adolf Hitler:
“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”
How true.

That's all a bit unfair on Whittaker and MART Chris ... they may be persistently peddling the same incomplete stories ... but they are surely not Nazis?

£3 Billion is a lot of money in anyone's language. This will be more than the biggest single investment in Greater Manchester's Passenger Transport of all time. This will be the biggest single investment in Greater Manchester full stop. It beggars belief that Sean and Chris and their propagandists can sleep at night as they try to stop this huge benefit for Manchester.

There is something of the old Fathers For Justice about this pair. Follow their antics at NAAT's Manchester news page or at MART, StopTheCharge (GMMG) , and GMMG Home (I smell money at these two).

3 comments:

Diablo said...

"“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”
How true."

Tested to destruction by the Labour Party!

Anonymous said...

specifics please, you knee jerk balloon

Chris Paul said...

Actually Diablo it is Cameron that is using these means at the moment just as it is MART rather than GMPTE that is using them in the case of greening manchester's roads.

Cameron is simply saying:

"We're better than you are"

Which is the price of an Eton and Oxbridge Education topped off with marrying an heiress and having a spot of royal bastard blood in you.