Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Caitlin McClatchley: World Swimming Championships


Caitlin McClatchey - Commonwealth Champion at 200m Free - has just finished 7th, two seconds off her best behind Mamadou's smashing of the world record. CMcC's dad John was a year or two above me at Uni and is now a Professor of Physical Geography. John was an excellent Water Polo player and Manchester dominated the sport for a couple of years. His brother Alan, Caitlin's uncle was himself a champion freestyler.

The last time I saw John was in 1983 on the summit of Ben Nevis. He on a field trip with some of his students. Me running the third "Peak" in the Three Peaks Yacht Race. Quite amazing I was up there for a minute at most. There was a little snow in mid Summer but it was a clear day. But I met someone I knew in one of the remotest places in the British Isles.

Hopefully I'll see him at The XXI Club 75th Anniversary Dinner on 10th November 2007. And if he brings a Commonwealth Champion or two with him that would be a big bonus.

I'll stick the links in later. Have to do a little Humble Pie and change a link before bedtime.

PS: Both the McClatchey boys were Scotland and I think GB internationals at Freestyle and Polo respectively, Alan and John.

No comments: