Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Joanna Lumley's Gurkhas: JL Seems To Have Been Won Over



Joanna Lumley is to ask the PM for "parity with Commonwealth soldiers". That's interesting that is. A so-far sure-footed campaign may find that while Commonwealth soldiers/military in general now have the same pay and conditions as UK soldiers/military she may be surprised at the history.

She is about to speak live to BBC News. "Extremely positive ... PM wholly supportive ... new solution by end of May ... I trust him, I rely on him, and know that he has now taken this matter into his own hands." The proposed parity is on current Gurkhas. Four years service, then two year window to make application for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) or entry visa.

As I understand it Commonwealth soldiers may then apply for naturalisation. As I understand it they have no guarantee of ILR or naturalisation. And as I understand it these are pretty new arrangements for those Commonwealth soldiers. Where this gets potentially expensive for HMG I believe is where other crown servants are given parity with the gurkhas, in terms of backdating any and all concessions for example.

No comments: